WHEELS FOR WISHES
Do you have a car or truck that’s just rusting away? Would you like to donate it to a good cause and get a tax deduction for it? The nonprofit Wheels For Wishes will pick up donated vehicles and recycle or auction them with proceeds going to Make a Wish Utah. For more information about this service visit their site by clicking on the link below:
“Use Candles with Care; When You Go Out, Blow Out!”
Home candles fires have risen as most other causes of home fires have declined, according to the non-profit National First Protection Association (NFPA). Here are a few tips to help use candles safely:
- Never leave a burning candle unattended. Carefully put out candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
Keep candles at least one foot away from anything that can burn, including curtains, blinds, wallpaper and clothing.
- Never leave a child unattended in a room with a burning candle.
- Use candle holders that are sturdy, won’t tip over easily, are made from a material that can’t burn, and are large enough to collect dripping wax.
- Keep candle wicks trimmed to one-quarter inch.
- Store matches and lighters up high and out of children’s sight and reach, preferably in a locked cabinet.
Because candle fires spread so quickly, we are urged to ensure that smoke alarms are installed on every level of the home. Residents should test smoke alarms once a month, replace alarm batteries twice a year, and replace smoke alarms after 10 years. Each member of the household needs to know the first escape plan, and all should practice it twice a year.
Daughters of the Utah Pioneers
To link to Daughters of the Utah Pioneers web site, click on the logo: